Accelerated 3+1 Baccalaureate Completion and Second Major Programs
The University provides an exception to the normal academic requirement of 54 semester credit hours at a four-year regionally accredited college for students who are enrolled in Accelerated 3+1 Baccalaureate Completion Programs.
Accelerated 3+1 Baccalaureate Completion Program students must:
- Satisfy general entrance requirements;
- Complete at minimum 39 semester credit hours of coursework at Benedictine University if enrolled in the B.A. in Management program. This is the University’s residency requirement for this program.
- Complete at least 12 credit hours of coursework at the 3000 level or above in their major field at Benedictine University.
Once a student has matriculated into a 3+1 program at Benedictine University, no more than 12 semester credit hours of coursework may be transferred into Benedictine University from a regionally accredited college/university.
Accelerated 3+1 Baccalaureate Completion Program students may receive credit and/or waiver of course requirements through examination and experiential learning assessment, but these credits may not be used toward meeting the University residency requirement.
Second Major Program
This program is designed for people who already have a baccalaureate degree in one area and would like to gain expertise in another. The primary benefit of this program is that the focus is on the requirements of the major, allowing students to concentrate on courses that will be most beneficial. The entrance requirement is a bachelor’s degree from Benedictine. Please note that financial aid is not available to students who are completing a second major. A certificate will be conferred after they have applied for graduation and paid the certification graduation fees and completed all major requirements.
Second Major Program students must:
- Submit an application through the admissions office into a major program different from the previously earned major and official transcripts from all outside institutions attended;
- Select one of the University’s major programs and complete all requirements for that major (all major coursework must be completed with a grade of “C” or better) as listed in the catalog which is in effect at the time of admission to the program. (If a student enters the program the first semester after graduation from Benedictine University, then the requirements in effect will be those in the catalog of the original term of admission to previous degree program);
- Enroll for at least one course in the major each semester, or have a valid Leave of Absence form on file; and
- Complete all work on the second major within seven years of admission to the program.
External credit and transfer credit may be counted toward the program requirements, if appropriate, as determined by each department. However, at least 12 semester credit hours of 3000/4000-level classroom courses must be completed at Benedictine University. Upon completion of required coursework of the program, a notation on the academic transcript will be made that all requirements for a second major have been met.