Degree Completion, Accelerated 3+1 Undergraduate, Second Major, and Certificate Programs
Accelerated 3+1 Baccalaureate Completion Program
The University provides an exception to the normal academic requirement of 54 semester credit hours at a four-year regionally accredited college for students who are enrolled in Accelerated 3+1 Baccalaureate Completion Programs.
Accelerated 3+1 Baccalaureate Completion Program students must:
- Satisfy general entrance requirements;
- Complete at minimum 34 semester credit hours of coursework at Benedictine University if enrolled in the RN to BSN program and 39 semester credit hours of coursework at Benedictine University if enrolled in the B.A. in Management program. This is the University’s residency requirement for these programs.
- Complete at least 12 credit hours of coursework at the 3000 level or above in their major field at Benedictine University.
Once a student has matriculated into a 3+1 program at Benedictine University, no more than 12 semester credit hours of coursework may be transferred into Benedictine University from a regionally accredited college/university.
Accelerated 3+1 Baccalaureate Completion Program students may receive credit and/or waiver of course requirements through external credit programs, but these credits may not be used toward meeting the University residency requirement.
Online RN to BSN nursing program cohort students are subject to the same degree and residency requirements as 3 + 1 agreement RN to BSN students. This allows students to switch modalities without changing their graduation requirements.
Degree Completion Program [DCP]
This program only applies to existing students and cannot be applied to new admits.
The determination of DCP status is made prior to entry. Credit earned later will not be used to reclassify a student to DCP status. A minimum of 15 of the 75-plus transferable semester credit hours required for DCP status must be from a four-year regionally accredited college or university earned prior to the start of Benedictine University coursework.
Degree Completion Program students must:
- Satisfy general entrance requirements;
- Complete at least the last 30 semester credit hours of their undergraduate degree through coursework at Benedictine University as a degree-seeking student; and
- Complete at least 12 semester credit hours of coursework at the 3000 level or above in their major field at Benedictine University.
Degree Completion Program students may receive credit and/or waiver of course requirements through external credit programs, but these credits will not be counted as part of the last 30 semester credit hours of coursework at Benedictine University.
Second Major Program
This program is designed for people who already have a baccalaureate degree in one area at Benedictine University and would like to gain expertise in another. The primary benefit of this program is that the focus is on the requirements of the major, allowing students to concentrate on courses that will be most beneficial. The entrance requirement is a bachelor’s degree from Benedictine. Please note that financial aid is not available to students who are completing a second major. A certificate will be conferred on the student’s transcript after they have applied for graduation and paid the certificate graduation fees and completed all major requirements.
Second Major Program students must:
- Submit an application through the admissions office into a major program different from the previously earned major and official transcripts from all outside institutions attended;
- Select one of the University’s major programs and complete all requirements for that major (all major coursework must be completed with a grade of “C” or better) as listed in the catalog which is in effect for the term of admission to the program. (If a student enters the program the first semester after graduation from Benedictine University, then the requirements in effect will be those in the catalog of the original term of admission to previous degree program);
- Enroll for at least one course in the major each semester, or have a valid Leave of Absence form on file; and
- Complete all work on the second major within seven years of admission to the program.
External Credit programs and transfer credit may be counted toward the program requirements, if appropriate, as determined by each department. However, at least 12 semester credit hours of additional 3000/4000-level classroom courses must be completed at Benedictine University.
Upon completion of required coursework of the program, a notation on the academic transcript will be made that all requirements for a second major have been met.