Music, Bachelor of Arts
College: College of Liberal Arts
Department: Visual, Performing, and Media Arts
Student Type: Traditional Undergraduate
Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Campus: Lisle Campus
Requirements - Major
Music majors are required to:
- Audition for the department to show competencies in solo performance, scales and sight-reading;
- Take a music entrance exam in theory, keyboard and aural skills;
- Perform a music jury each semester.
The music major must complete at least 49 semester credit hours in music courses in performance, history, and theory. Required major and cognate courses are:
|MUSI 1101||Music Theory I||3|
|MUSI 1102||Music Theory II||3|
|MUSI 1112||Aural Skills I||1|
|MUSI 1113||Aural Skills II||1|
|MUSI 1194||Keyboard Skills I||1|
|MUSI 1195||Keyboard Skills II||1|
|MUSI 2201||Theory III||3|
|MUSI 2202||Music Theory IV||3|
|MUSI 2212||Aural Skills III||1|
|MUSI 2213||Aural Skill IV||1|
|MUSI 3205||Music History I||3|
|MUSI 3206||Music History II||3|
|MUSI 3303||History and Application of Technology in Music||3|
|MUSI 4350||Senior Recital||2|
|MUSI 4365||Senior Seminar: The Portfolio Experience||0|
|Select six credit hours of the following: 1||6|
|Secondary Languages courses||6|
|3000 level Applied Music||4|
|4000 level Applied Music||2|
|Electives must be completed outside of the Department of Music||13|
Must be completed at Benedictine University.
Students in the B.A. in Music or B.A. in Music Education programs will achieve the following student learning outcomes (SLO):
Student Learning Outcome 1: Perform music with a high level of musicianship
• University SLO: 1. Disciplinary Competence and Skills; 5. Analytical Skills; 6. Global Awareness and Cultural Competence.
Student Learning Outcome 2: Demonstrate the comprehensive understanding of music knowledge needed to synthesize and gather information from various sources to create documents appropriate for the music field
• University SLO: 1. Disciplinary Competence and Skills; 3. Communicate effectively orally, in writing, and via a variety of media; 4. Information Fluency; 5. Analytical Skills; 6. Global Awareness and Cultural Competence; 9. Personal Development
Student Learning Outcome 3: Establish the professional standards that will inform and enrich the musical and pedagogical strengths of the students’ careers as performers and educators.
• University SLO: 1. Disciplinary Competence and Skills; 3, Communicate effectively orally, in writing, and via a variety of media; 5. Analytical Skills; 6. Global Awareness and Cultural Competence; 7. Civic Engagement and Social Responsibility; 9. Personal Development.